Monday, March 8, 2010

Homemade Candy

Lately, after eating supper, I've been craving something sweet.  Not whole huge desserts, but just a few bites of something sweet, like candy.  Rather than purchase candy made with all sorts of additives and junk, I thought I'd try and make candy at home. 

First, I found a recipe that looked idiot-proof and tasty.  It was also one I had all the ingredients on hand for.  Bonus!

Vinegar Candy
(From Dining on a Dime Cookbook, by Tawra Kellam and Jill Cooper)
2 Cups sugar
1/2 Cup cider vinegar
2 Tsp. Butter

Combine ingredients in a saucepan and cook to 275 degrees.  Pour into well buttered jelly roll pan, let cool, and break. Makes 24 pieces.


Sounds easy enough, right?



Wrong.


Everything started out fine:
 
I gathered my ingredients (that thing on the left is my butter keeper.  If you don't have one, get one, it's amazing!)

 
 
And I followed the cooking instructions
And ended up with a pan full of candy-flavored cement.


I think my pan was too large, and my well-buttered job was not enough cause that stupid stuff wouldn't come out.  I chiseled at it with a spatula, I put down waxed paper and hit it with a hammer.  I ended up with shards of candy, not 24 pieces, but like candy dust with a few large bits thrown in.  Also, when you suck on it, it gets gooey and sticks in your fillings/teeth.  

Fail.


Next up, English Toffee from Paula Dean's Dessert Cookbook.  With a smaller pan. 

2 comments:

  1. lol - oh that sucks! But makes for a fun story! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meg, I have an awesome English toffee recipe. It is easy also. My dessert made with puff pastry was a big hit with my painting class. My teacher took a bite and said oh my this is the best thing I have ever put in my mouth. I did the chocolate nut studel.

    ReplyDelete