Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Saying Goodbye

Two weeks ago, I said goodbye to a dear friend of mine.  She was a resident on the unit where I have worked for nearly 4 years now, and she had been there since I started.  She and I just "clicked," not instantaneously, but over a period of months, as we got to know each other, and as I found my comfort zone and hit my stride in a new job.

I can't quite explain our relationship, except to say that for a woman who didn't know anyone's name at the nursing home, she called me (and only me) Geraldine for 3 years.  Never any other name, only Geraldine.  Now that's a bond.  



As I have adjusted to our unit without her, I realize how much she taught me about love, patience, and being yourself; and how much I am going to miss her. 





I love you Eloise, and I miss you, but I'm glad you've gone home to God and to be with your Mother whom you loved so dearly.  Godspeed.



No comments:

Post a Comment