Monday, December 3, 2012

Ladybug Party

Yesterday, we threw a ladybug themed birthday/baptism party for our girl.  I did it on a budget, and I hate buying useless overpriced decorations and paper goods, so I made what I did buy disposable count.  I thought I'd share some of what I did with you!
 
 Ladybug cups:  Red paper cups from the dollar store.  
Round white labels leftover from another project run 
through the copier at work with the lid open=black spots.



 If you have a girl, jumpers are super easy to make.  
I just traced one onto doubled fabric, sewed up the sides and the shoulders.  
This perfect fabric was from JoAnn's.  I used less than a yard.

 I whipped up this bib last thing, 2 pieces of white flannel stitched together.
A number 1 cut out of jumper scraps, sewn on.
Ribbons attached at the top to tie on.


 Red tablecloth + back plates and bowls = ladybug tables.
Those are plain white napkins in the center.
I think the colored ones don't work well, and white 
fit in with my color scheme.





Guestbook:  Red stamp pad, sharpies and a  blank page from her scrapbook.  
(Plus baby wipes for cleaning off thumbs!)
We did a similar guestbook for our wedding, but the thumbprints were leaves on a tree.
 



 Ladybug cupcakes:  Red frosting (for some reason it looks orange here) 
Spots = upside down chocolate chips pushed into the frosting.


Another idea I had, which I will certainly do again, was to put a bunch of prints of photos out on a table for everyone to sift through and help themselves in lieu of favors.  This  was especially nice for grandparents who don't quite get the concept of a photo sharing website.  We always order multiple prints to share, but don't have a great way to share them efficiently with family.  This worked out great!

I didn't go overboard with decorations, as you can see, but the theme was evident, and nobody really notices decorations anyway, in my opinion.  If you're wondering about a menu, I served:
  • Chili (which, unintentionally, fit the theme, as I use black beans in a red sauce!)
  • Butternut squash and black bean soup 
  • Coleslaw
  • Apple Waldorf Salad
  • Corn muffins
  • Appetizers: Taco dip, buffalo chicken dip, artichoke dip, and a veggie tray.
  • Dessert:  Cupcakes (chocolate and vanilla), apple pie, cheesecake.
  • Drinks:  Boxes of iced green tea with honey and lemonade (from the grocery store) and a jug with a spigot of water from the grocery store.  

No comments:

Post a Comment