Sunday, October 18, 2009

Soup, etc...

I just cobbled together the most delicious soup! I was going for an Italian-flavored vegetable soup, but ended up with one that tastes sort of Mexican flavored-it's just crying out for some crispy tortilla strips on top. I want to chronicle what I did so that perhaps I can duplicate it.

Delicious pantry/freezer vegetable soup:

1 Onion, minced
2 small cloves of garlic, minced
2 carrots, scrubbed, with skins on, chopped
1 orange pepper, diced
2 dry bay leaves
pinch dried rosemary
pinch salt

Sweat the above ingredients for 10-15 minutes, until tender. Add:

1- 28oz can diced tomatoes, undrained
1- 14oz can kidney beans, undrained

approx. 4-6 cups homemade chicken (or vegetable) stock.

2 cups shredded frozen zucchini
1 zip-top bag full frozen corn kernels.

Simmer and enjoy!

(My plan was to cook pasta separately and mix it in all week for lunch, but this would go well with rice, mashed potatoes or tortilla strips!)

No comments:

Post a Comment