Now that I've posted a list of our changes for a better, greener world....I thought I should come clean (actually, dirty, I suppose) about some things we haven't changed....
So here goes (please be kind...)
- I still buy paper towels (because the thought of a rag I used to clean the toilet with accidentally getting used for something else grosses me out. Also we don't have hot water to wash in or a dryer to clean the germs...) I also use these for patting meat dry.
- We leave lights on....some accidentally, some on purpose (think motion sensored outdoor light)
- Some foods I can't buy organic, we don't go without (Puff Pastry, for example...)
- We leave most of our appliances plugged in (computer, coffee maker, television)
- Organic wine, beer, and liquors are not a part of our regular consumption.
- I still love the dollar store, even though I know it's all cheap crap.
- Sometimes, I run to the store for one thing (not soo bad since I live 1 mile from a store, but still, it adds up. And I feel guilty.)
- I still use commercial shampoo, deodorant, and perfumes.
- Tissues. (I do buy sustainably harvested/replanted forested)
- Windshield washer fluid-IS there an ecologically sound option?
- Bacon-I love commercial bacon, and it's in our price range.
- I buy non-organic pasta and beans mostly.
- We belong to a gym (Not just any gym, a big, open 24 hours a day with lights on and stereo blaring gym. We should run and walk outdoors.....)
- I want a clothes dryer. Not for everyday use, but so that I have the choice to buy something at the thrift store and wear it the next day. Also, we miss soft towels.
- My favorite local deli doesn't carry organic lunch meat. I still buy lunch meat every week.
- Imported cheese are our weakness.
- We keep our house at 65 all the time. This is mostly for 3 reasons: 1) It's bad for our instruments to get warm and cold all the time 2) I think, with our old furnace, it's less efficient for us to turn it up and down all the time and 3) if it was at any lower, I would not leave the couch all winter and we'd eat TV dinners for 6 months.
- Soda. We're both soda addicts. I try to limit my consumption to 1 a day, but....sometimes I fail.
While that's not all, it's what I think of regularly and would like to change eventually, but right now, it's not really in the cards. Maybe someday...