Saturday, February 27, 2010

"Secret" family recipe...

My mom used to cook at an assisted living facility.  She brought home many recipes from there to share with our family, but one of our favorite growing up is called "Tangy Cheese Buns."  (In our family, it's affectionately called "Baby Barf on a Bun" in reference to its uncooked appearance.)  Don't let the name fool you, they're delicious

When I was in college, and had my first apartment, my mom began for me a cookbook to collect favorite recipes, starting with some of hers that were my favorites, or that she thought would be useful for me as I began to fend for myself.  

Here is what she wrote in the "Tangy Cheese Bun" Entry:

Tangy Cheese Buns~ serves 77

American cheese-shredded 8.5 pounds
Bacon-chopped-cooked-drained 4.25 pounds
Tomatoes-fresh, diced 4.25 pounds
Mayo 2.5 cups
Worcestershire Sauce 1/4 cup

Mix together with mixer
Use #24 scoop on hamburger buns

Bake at 350 for approx 20-30 minutes.

Have fun! :-)

Now, I don't know if my mom thought I would need to feed the entire music department or what, but I whittled it down from the original commercial measurements to usable ones: 

Tangy Cheese Buns~ Serves 6

American Cheese (3 cups)
Bacon (1 1/2 cups)
Tomatoes (1 1/2 cups)
Mayo (1/2 cup)
Worcestershire Sauce (1 TBS)
I don't actually measure the ingredients, I just mix them all until it looks good and scoop it onto whatever buns I have around.  If the buns are fresh from the store, I toast them a little first to make them crispier.  Adjust the seasonings to what your family likes, I add a little hot sauce to mine, and use cheddar cheese instead...but the whole concept is delicious, and perfect for a quick supper!

 

  

  

 
Mike was dancing, he was so excited 
that we were having these for supper!


1 comment:

  1. oooooooh I haven't made those in a while. I should I love them.

    ReplyDelete