Thursday, January 28, 2010

Green Dilemma


In March of 2009, I purchased a new car:




A beautiful 2006 Subaru Outback.  I'd been dreaming about a new car for years, but hadn't wanted to take on payments, and my old car just wasn't broken enough yet.  It's not the most fuel efficient car, but I wanted a car that would Last.  Subarus tend to stick around a while, so rather then need a new care in 5 or 6 years, I wanted a car that might last me 8 or 9 years and still be reliable. 

I love my Subaru.  I could found a fan club for Subarus. 

I like to keep my Subaru clean, so that it looks nice, and also to preserve the paint and fend off any rust.  I live in a climate where it snows a LOT, and the plows use salt on the roads, which eats paint. 

How do you who drive new-ish cars (possibly hybrids) keep them clean in the winter? I took my baby through the car wash the other night and it occured to me how many chemicals they were spraying on my car, that would no doubt be sent right to the water table....

...but...

I can't justify just letting my car rust so that it will need wasteful replacing before the life of the car is up.

What's a green-minded girl to do?

2 comments:

  1. First of all, a lot of it is fiberglass/plastic, so that won't rust. And B) as long as the paint doesn't chip, it won't rust. I would say the underside is the part you have to worry about most, but that spray stuff they put on the undercarriage makes repairs ridonkulous. So I say, let the salt hang around. It'll form a protective layer eventually :)

    In all honestly, you do want to keep the salt off... so idk. you'll have to set up a green wash in someone's garage.

    ReplyDelete