Saturday, January 16, 2010

The last Holiday Post, I promise...

As the Grand Finale (belatedly, I admit) of all my holiday posting,  here are some photos of my grandparents' recycled gift to me:

A note:
Dearest Meg-
This gift is given with much love and a piece of history.  The peach chemise was your Great Grandma Alice's for her wedding.  She also had the silk stockings in her cedar chest when she died.  The hankies are ones she gave me as gifts on Christmas's in our early years of marriage.  The top one I carried on my wedding day 47 years ago.  The beaded purse was a gift from my sister-in-law Anne-Marie when I was in high school.  Never having had anything so fancy I thought I was pretty special.  Hope you will enjoy owning these gifts or you may sell as you wish.
Love,
Grandma and Poppy

First of all, I would hardly think of selling family heirlooms such as these!  I have a hard time getting rid of clothes that don't fit for sentimental reasons, much less family history!

Second, I am truly touched by the items in the box, and intend on using some of them in our September wedding.


Photos of the items within the box:

Great Grandma's chemise



Great Grandma's silk stockings

 

Grandma's wedding handkerchief
I will carry this on my wedding day,
along with some of the others, perhaps, 
I'm a sentimental fool, and probably will cry a TON!



 Heirloom Handkerchiefs:

 

 

 







 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 



Grandma's purse.
I've been looking for a purse to carry on my wedding day.
It found me, instead!


Detail of the beautiful beading

1 comment: