Sunday, July 19, 2009

BLT-asty!

We went to a friend's barbecue last evening...every year, the rules are "bring a chair and a dish to share." Since there's always the salads, and fruit, and cookies, etc. I like to bring something different. I devised a tasty (I hoped) alternative to the traditional "dish to share:"

BLT Layer Dip:
(This recipe makes enough for a 9 x 9 pan, if your family/friends love BLTs, I recommend doubling the recipe)

1 pound bacon
1 package cream cheese, softened (I use Lite)
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup mayonnaise
2 TBS chopped herbs (use what you have, I used parsley and chives)
2 cups shredded lettuce
2 tomatoes, diced.
Salt and pepper to taste


I bake the bacon on a sheet pan at 375 for about 15 minutes, or until it's crispy. drain the bacon on some paper towels. Meanwhile, combine cream cheese, sour cream, mayonnaise and herbs in a medium bowl (I use a hand mixer to make it smooth and creamy). Chop or crumble half of the bacon into the cream cheese mixture, reserving the other half. Add salt and pepper to taste (I also used a few teaspoons of the bacon grease/drippings to make the bacon flavor throughout the cream cheese, but if you use warm bacon, you shouldn't have to do that).

At this point, you can either refrigerate the cream cheese mixture for later, or assemble the dip now.

Spread cream cheese mixture on the bottom of a 9 x 9 pan. Cover with shredded lettuce. Add diced tomatoes on top of that. Finally, crumble remaining bacon on top of that. Serve with potato chips, or toasted white bread slices (I used toasted baguette slices, you could use any white bread, but I recommend cutting them into bite size pieces)

Enjoy (The dip was gone in less than an hour!)

No comments:

Post a Comment